It is not difficult to recruit for the collection of skills that make up core competencies required for any particular job. The more experience required for a job and in a candidate's career makes this prediction of future success in technical skills even easier. But hiring for culture?
Any great brand who knows what they stand for and why they are in business along with a crystal clear vision has less trouble recruiting and retaining the right people. Diligence in determining how people might fit into the soul of the company is a different trick that becomes more clear too. Easy to talk about, not so easy to accomplish.
- have a vision and be on a mission based on core values - these are not statements
- be honest with yourself about your business, current environment and place in the future
- talk about #1 and #2 when interviewing candidates up and down the organization
Also during a recruiting process:
- stop matching resumes to job description
- start matching problem solvers to solutions required
- get real about working together and take time figuring it out with conversations about values
Be diligent and take your time. We know the speed of business has limitations to time and diligence. The trick is to go in believing your strategy and knowing what you and your company stand for with no hesitation. Find candidates with the confidence in who they are and what they stand for. The combination yields quick gut reactions to whether or not there is a culture fit and the ability to solve real problems...together. Get to 'no' fast and be diligent with the one that feels good. Your instincts will prove long term benefit. Hire well!